Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Jar of Marbles

"Life is like a jar of marbles.  You can only fit so many in before it's full.  And you, you're the marble that doesn't fit.  Do you understand?"

That was something that was said to me by an authority figure in my high school.  I was only fourteen, struggling with depression, and had just a week earlier confided in that person.  When she said that, it was crushing for me.  The worst part was, she thought she was being kind.

Here it is, eleven years later and I still remember that as one of the cruelest things ever said to me.

But the story doesn't end there.

I'm using that cruelty in my current WIP.  With catch phrases like that, that authority figure makes the perfect villain--if I do say so myself!  You know what they say about not upsetting writers.  You may just end up in their writing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home